I made a trailer for The Wandering Wizard today
Monthly Archives: April 2013
Tonight I have completed the first full version of the game. With all levels (now 56), all journals, and all extra scenes finished. New things include the following
- End Cut-scene
- Ads for monetization
In the end I decided instead of making the last 5 levels I would make one super long and hard level. This level turned out to be pretty darn difficult and even I took many many tries to beat it. That being said it is very satisfying to complete.
After the last level comes the last journal which is actually a cut-scene. You go through some dialogue and then the player gets to choose between two endings. Basically one is the way of the hero and one the way of the villain. You will have to see for yourself for more details.
What needs to be done?
All in all this is pretty complete but there are a few things left I need to do
- general optimizations: This isn’t necessarily mandatory but I want the game to be playable on as many devices as possible
- proof-reading: This is for all of the journals and dialogue. I need to make sure that the spelling and grammar are correct because I typed it all in a text editor with no spell check
- small level changes: I need to test the levels and get other people to test them. Based on observations and feedback I will probably make small adjustments to levels to make them easier/more difficult depending on where they are in the game.
When I get the chance I also want to make a killer awesome trailer for the game with epic music and taglines and basically the whole 9 yards.
From now on I will be putting a file called “The Wandering Wizard.apk” in the builds dropbox folder which will always be the most recent stable build. Download that for testing if you are interested.
This week I found myself needing to replace a few things in the game.
The most inconvenient of these was the background for the forest levels. I realized that the license for the art I was using before will not work for me and I couldn’t get special permission to use it either, so I was forced to find an alternative. Luckily it didn’t take long to find this
I personally like the old one a bit better but this will work just fine. It also gave me an idea for some visual progression in the forest levels. As you get to the later levels the background is lowered so that it appears that you’re ascending into the mountains. This makes sense since the next world is in the caves.
Here’s another pic of what it looks like in game.
I also decided to modify the main font used in the game for everything except the journal entries. The problem with the old font I was using is that it was kinda low res so it looked very pixel-ated when enlarged (The game uses Bitmap fonts so they don’t scale perfectly like the fonts you see in MS WORD). Anyway I generated a new Bitmap font as a much higher resolution so it looks a lot cleaner and clearer.
I updated the spell casting animations for the wizard! there are more details in the video description.
The build with this is labeled April 12th with animation update or something like that.
Just a quick update, things are moving along nicely and I’ve completed the first 5 levels of “world 3”. You can download the latest build (April 12th at the time of this post) and check it out.
These levels are all about the new spell mechanic and learning how you can use it. Let me know what you think!!!
My little side project has finally been successfully certified and is now available on the windows store. If you have windows 8 check it out @
I have coded in a brand new spell for “world 3” and I must say it is pretty sweet! I was very excited about it so I decided to record a quick and dirty video to share. This also might be nice for anyone reading who doesn’t have an android phone and hasn’t actually seen the game in action.